Skip to main content

DIY Salesforce partial copy sandbox using SandboxBerry

Salesforce partial copy sandboxes are expensive, but it's possible to approximate one if you're willing to spend a little time moving the data around yourself with a fantastic little tool called SandboxBerry, which you can get from here. Big thanks to Ian Finch for all his work on it!

Below are the steps I had to go through to get all my data imported. Please let me know if you have any suggestions that could make this easier or more effective!

  1. Make a new development sandbox and log into it
  2. Delete all outbound messages and workflows that relate to integrations with external systems
  3. Save a copy of /ExampleInstructionFiles/ExampleInstructionFile.xml, henceforth called InstructionFile.xml
  4. Decide which object types you want to migrate and add them as SbbObjects in InstructionFile.xml
  5. Deactivate validation rules, mandatory fields, lookup filters and autonumber fields for those objects (TODO: write a script to do this by exporting metadata, disabling them all programmatically, then re-importing the updated metadata).  For future reference we had to:
    • Deactivate validation rules on the following: Account, Contact, Charge, Product
    • Remove lookup filters on: Account.Business_Consultant, Charge.Base_Product, Charge.Contact, Charge.Account
    • Make the following fields no longer required: Charge.Account, Charge.Contact
    • Remove the restriction from picklist values for Charge.Billing_year
    • Deactivate the following in process builder: "Set fields on contact and parent account after lead conversion" and "Set dates for once-off charges"
    • Deactivate the following workflow rules: Set charge account LOB field
    • Change autonumber fields to text fields: Charge.Name
  6. If you're using person accounts like we are (ugh), you'll need to exclude the __pc fields as well as "MiddleName" and "Suffix". In InstructionFile.xml, add an SbbFieldOptions section with an SbbFieldOption for each field as instructed in the wiki
  7. Run Sandboxberry, put in your details and click Start!

In general, I'd suggest doing a test run first on just a few records for each object, filtering by IDs like:
Account.where =  Id\= '001900000123456'
Object_Name__c.where = Account\= '001900000123456'
Then run the import and ensure everything shows up as expected for that account.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'A section using configSource may contain no other attributes or elements' error after installing Application Insights

After installing the Application Insights nuget package to an Umbraco solution, you'll get this error:

A section using 'configSource' may contain no other attributes or elements

<ExamineLuceneIndexSets configSource="config\ExamineIndex.config" />
     <log4net configSource="config\log4net.config">
         <root>
             <level value="ALL" />
             <appender-ref ref="aiAppender" />
Source File: \project\web.config

This happens because part of the Application Insights installation process adds a <log4net> section to web.config.  Which would make sense, except Umbraco already has a <log4net> section in /config/log4net.config.  So as you can imagine, the solution is to manually move everything its added into that file. Unfortunately you can't just copy/paste the whole lot, but it's not particularly complicated:


Move <appender-ref ref="aiAppender" /> into the lo…

Handling double-quoted CSVs in Azure Data Factory Pipelines

Azure Data Factory by default uses a backslash as the escape character for CSVs, but we ran into an issue with this today processing one of the CSV files from data.gov.au.  As with most CSVs they use quotes around values as normal and with double-quotes for empty values, but they also use double-quotes to escape quotes within non-empty values. This probably sounds confusing, so here's an example:

"column 1","column 2","","column 4 value is ""sort of"" like this"

The ADF pipeline failed because the double-quotes don't get escaped correctly:
ErrorCode=UserErrorSourceDataContainsMoreColumnsThanDefined, found more columns than expected column count.

The solution was to change the "Escape character" property on the dataset, by clicking the "Edit" button beneath it and manually entering "", since "" isn't in the list of escape characters.  I didn't think this would work at fir…

How to make yourself a Dynamics CRM 2011 Deployment Administrator

Today I needed to deactivate one of our Dynamics organisations, but when I opened the Dynamics Deployment Manager, I received the following error:

"Only the Deployment Administrators are able to use Deployment Manager. You are not a Deployment Administrator."
Bummer. I did a bit of Googling and found this post by Ronald Lemmen (thanks for pointing me in the right direction!).  Since the Dynamics Deployment Manager is obviously checking the MSCRM_CONFIG database for this information I attached a database trace to it and found that it's executing these queries (among many others):

exec sp_executesql N'SELECT  Id, [DefaultOrganizationId], [IsDisabled], [Name]   FROM [SystemUser]   WHERE ((([Name] = @Name0)) ) AND (IsDeleted = 0) ', N'@Name0 nvarchar(41)',@Name0=N'{My windows domain account}'
exec sp_executesql N'SELECT  Id, [Name], [UniqueifierId]   FROM [SecurityRole]   WHERE ((([Name] = @Name0)) ) AND (IsDeleted = 0) ', N'@Name0 nvarchar…