After coming across some of these for the hundredth time, I've decided to keep a list of bizarre inconsistencies / gotchas in Salesforce.
- Editable list views for certain objects don't allow editing of record owner field, even though certain object types (e.g. Cases) have a "Change owner" or "Assign" option right there on the list view which does the same thing, so something exactly like this is obviously already implemented.
- You can mass transfer ownership of accounts, but not contacts. It's because of this.
- The force.com cli's export-to-csv functionality (force query --format:csv) creates a file that its own CSV parsing functions consider invalid if you try to re-import it (force bulk update whatevs.csv).
- Adding a custom field to a standard object does not add it to any report types for that object. But adding a custom field to a custom object does.
- Unlike every programming, scripting and query language, SOQL doesn't have a comment character. Not even a single-line one.