Skip to main content

jQuery ajax error logging on the server with log4net

This post is based on Toby Gundry's post on the same technique, but adapted for logging jQuery ajax errors (although I added a few extra things too).

In your Javascript:

    $(document).on({
        ajaxError: function (event, jqXHR, ajaxSettings) {
            var err = "Location: " + document.location.href + "; ";
   
            if (jqXHR)
            {
                err += "Status: " + jqXHR.status + "; ";
                err += "Text: " + jqXHR.statusText + "; ";
            }
   
            if (jqXHR.responseJSON) {
                err += "Message: " + jqXHR.responseJSON.Message + "; ";
                err += "Stack Trace: " + jqXHR.responseJSON.StackTrace + "; ";
            }
   
            if (ajaxSettings) {
                err += "Data Sent: " + ajaxSettings.data + "; ";
                err += "URL: " + ajaxSettings.url + "; ";
            }
   
            var message = btoa(err);
            var log = new Image();
            log.src = "/JSLogger.ashx?error=" + message;
   
            //display some kind of friendly error message to the user
        }
    });

I used the btoa function for base64-encoding the content, but it's quite possibly unnecessary.  Anyway, make a JSLogger handler, something like this:

    public class JSLogger : IHttpHandler
    {
        private static readonly ILog Log = LogManager.GetLogger(typeof(JSLogger));

        public void ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
        {
            string encodedError = context.Request.QueryString["error"];
            byte[] bytes = Convert.FromBase64String(input);
            string error = Encoding.ASCII.GetString(bytes); //using Unicode seems to have weird effects

            try
            {
                string name = "Username: " + context.User.Identity.Name;
                error += name;
            }
            catch(Exception e){} //in case the username isn't available
           
            Log.Error(error);
        }

        //IHttpHandler boilerplate omitted
    }

Let me know if you have any ideas for improvement!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Log4Net to use both event log and a rolling log file

Here's the config section, note that the applicationNameproperty in the EventLogAppender needs to be the same as the event source in the windows event log that you want to log to.  If the event source doesn't exist, that appender won't work.  In this particular project I create that during install using WiX (which is covered in another post)

  <log4netdebug="true">
    <appendername="RollingLogFileAppender"type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">      <filevalue="log.txt" />      <datePatternvalue="dd-MM-yyyy" />      <appendToFilevalue="true" />      <locationinfovalue="false" />      <rollingStylevalue="Size" />      <maximumFileSizevalue="1MB" />      <maxSizeRollBackupsvalue="10" />      <staticLogFileNamevalue="true" />      <layouttype="log4net.Layout.PatternLayout">        <conv…

Using WiX to create an event source during install of a .NET framework project

Edit: so I guess I wasn't the only one confused with this stuff, as it's been my most popular post by far!  If I've helped you out or saved you some time, please let me know in the comments :)

In order for this to work, you have to add references to WixUtilExtension and WixNetFxExtension to your WiX project.  Once that's done, add this inside a <Component> element:

<Util:EventSourcexmlns:Util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension"Name="EVENTSOURCEGOESHERE"Log="Application"EventMessageFile="[NETFRAMEWORK40FULLINSTALLROOTDIR]EventLogMessages.dll" />
Obviously replace EVENTSOURCEGOESHERE with your event source name.  NETFRAMEWORK40FULLINSTALLROOTDIR is a property set by the WixNetFxExtension which stores the path to the .NET framework v4 directory, but you can replace this with the corresponding property for the directory containing the relevant EventLogMessages.dll file.  So if you're using the .NET framewo…

How to make yourself a Dynamics CRM 2011 Deployment Administrator

Today I needed to deactivate one of our Dynamics organisations, but when I opened the Dynamics Deployment Manager, I received the following error:

"Only the Deployment Administrators are able to use Deployment Manager. You are not a Deployment Administrator."
Bummer. I did a bit of Googling and found this post by Ronald Lemmen (thanks for pointing me in the right direction!).  Since the Dynamics Deployment Manager is obviously checking the MSCRM_CONFIG database for this information I attached a database trace to it and found that it's executing these queries (among many others):

exec sp_executesql N'SELECT  Id, [DefaultOrganizationId], [IsDisabled], [Name]   FROM [SystemUser]   WHERE ((([Name] = @Name0)) ) AND (IsDeleted = 0) ', N'@Name0 nvarchar(41)',@Name0=N'{My windows domain account}'
exec sp_executesql N'SELECT  Id, [Name], [UniqueifierId]   FROM [SecurityRole]   WHERE ((([Name] = @Name0)) ) AND (IsDeleted = 0) ', N'@Name0 nvarchar…