Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from May, 2014

Visual Studio - "Find was stopped in progress"

Sometimes you'll do a Find for "Entire Solution" (Ctrl + Shift + F is a handy shortcut) and instead of finding anything, the "Find Results" window will immediately display "Find was stopped in progress" with zero results.  I usually deal with it by restarting Visual Studio or my computer, but this time I decided to actually look into it.  Turns out it was a lot more common than I thought and is apparently a Windows bug, not Visual Studio, and goes way back to 2004.

Anyway, the solution is to click in the "Find Results" dialog so the cursor appears and mash Break, Ctrl+Break, Alt+Break and Ctrl+ScrLock key combos, perhaps while a find is in progress (although mine wasn't and it still worked, but ymmv).

There's also this extension which claims to help: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/23d270a7-c74c-47e4-ba14-d9341e9017ff

Source: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/259398/visual-studio-find-results-in-no-files-were-found-to-…

The JSON deserialisation drinking game

Take a drink every time you see this pattern:

$.ajax({
    data: "{things:stuff}",
    dataType: "json",
    //other properties omitted
    success: function (result) {
        var myObject = eval( "(" + result.d + ")" ); //noooooooooooooooo
    }
});

Take a drink when someone seriously brings up the catchphrase "eval is evil" or a variant of it.

Finish all of the drinks if you sincerely think that nobody would ever get malicious code into your database/application that will be happily executed when eval evaluates it and send your client to their phishing duplicate of your login page where they harvest user credentials before redirecting them right back to your application so nobody ever realises what just happened.

Aside:
"Eval is not evil" in the same way that dynamic SQL is not evil. But in this case it's bad, and wrong.   JSON.parse is how to parse JSON.

Using jQuery validation plugin with fields in a jQuery UI .dialog()

One issue I ran into while using the jQuery UI library along with the jQuery validation plugin in an ASP.NET page is that when the dialog is created, it's moved outside of the page's main form.  jQuery validation requires all fields to be validated to be inside a form, so fields in the dialog won't validate, plus if you need to have server-side controls inside of that dialog, there's not a lot you can do to move the dialog or the form. (If you don't have any server-side controls in the form, read skip further down for an alternate solution) Nested forms aren't allowed, and ASP.NET throws an error if you put server-side controls outside the main form.  An easy (albeit hacky) solution I found was just to move the dialog and its overlay back inside the form tag after creation:

$("#yourDialog").dialog({
    open: function (event, ui) {
        $(".ui-widget-overlay").prependTo("form"); //moves the overlay
    }
}).parent().appendTo(&quo…

Don't use eval to parse JSON data

Today I read about an interesting security vulnerability in Javascript's eval() function that I wasn't aware of previously (which I was naively using to parse JSON data).  Open a developer console and try this:

eval("alert('pwned')")
The code is executed! This could perhaps be used to return malformed instructions instead of JSON and do something malicious to the client.  However, try this:

JSON.parse("alert('not pwned')")
Notice that it just throws a parsing error, but of course for actual JSON it still produces the correct object.  Also, here's a relevant stackoverflow answer.

Error adding dynamic values to email templates in Dynamics CRM Workflows

This morning I was setting up a new workflow process for sending an email to some users and came across a weird bug. When editing the body of an email, everything was fine until I needed to add a dynamic value from the entity to the email's body, and then as soon as I tried to save, this:


Error details:
Unhandled Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.OrganizationServiceFault, Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35]]: System.Xml.XmlException: Microsoft Dynamics CRM has experienced an error. Reference number for administrators or support: #FD02B69DDetail:
<OrganizationServiceFault xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/xrm/2011/Contracts">
  <ErrorCode>-2147220970</ErrorCode>
  <ErrorDetails xmlns:d2p1="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic" />
  <Message>System.Xml.XmlExce…